Sony Ericsson rolled out 2.3.4 earlier than what they’ve planned, update is available through PC companion or SEUS (Sony Ericsson Update Service) since few days ago.
I waited for OTA(Over The Air) since OTA is the best way to update and remain rooted with locked bootloader. Please remember update by using PC companion or SEUS will wipe out your Root Access. OTA is the only way to remain your root access with locked bootloader since firmware 2.3.2.
On 23/September, OTA is available in Malaysia.
My arc’s firmware update details,
Previous Firmware: 2.3.3 rooted
Update path : OTA through 3G
File Size : 94MB
Duration : Around 20 minutes.
Now, it updated to 2.3.4 with root, data and apps remained.
– Faster Boot time
– Swipe text input
– Calendar update
– Camera/ Video zoom in and zoom out (volume button)
– 3D Sweep Panorama and Sweep Panorama
– 3D gallery app
– Screenshots (hold power button)
– New widget: World Clock, Traffic, Weather
– Themes selection interface change
– Application manager transparency look
– Thumbnails in Home folder
– Updated Facebook inside Xperia
– Sony Ericsson LiveDock multimedia station
– Animation on launching Screenlock, Setting and Homescreen exchange
– Smoother action on browsing contacts, sms and application manager
Follow this thread for detail information:
Refer this on how to Flash back .181/2.3.2 firmware and Gingerbreak:
i) Why need to Flash back .181/2.3.2 firmware?
-Because Gingerbreak only work on it. No recent update that works on 2.3.3 or 2.3.4 firmware.
ii) Why have to update through OTA to remain root?
-By Comparing file size downloaded between SEUS/PC Companion and OTA. OTA is smaller with 94MB. So, my guessing is that SEUS/PC Companion re-install whole of the firmware, where OTA only update some system files which din’t wipe out rooted part.
*Update on 03/12/2011
New easier way to Root with Locked Bootloader, refer this post::
“Root with Lock Bootloader: Easy Rooting Toolkit [v3.0]”